Development News from Afghanistan

Just another WordPress.com weblog

Taliban attack WFP convoy, 13 rebels killed: official

leave a comment »

Sun Sep 9, 6:26 AM ET

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AFP) – A group of Taliban on motorbikes ambushed a World Food Programme convoy in Afghanistan, sparking a gunfight that left 13 militants and two police dead, a provincial governor said Sunday.

The convoy, escorted by highway police, was attacked on Saturday in the remote western province of Farah by rebel fighters on motorbikes and in station wagons, the governor of neighbouring Nimroz province said.

The fighting lasted the whole day and the police had to send reinforcements, governor Ghulam Dastageer Azad told AFP.

Two of the police were “martyred” and 13 Taliban killed, he said. Eight police were also wounded.

Five Taliban cars and 15 motorbikes were destroyed in the fighting, he said.

The WFP could not be immediately reached for comment.

The organisation said in May that 20 of its food supply convoys had been attacked in Afghanistan in the previous 12 months, resulting in the loss of more than 500 tonnes of food aid valued at 350,000 dollars.

The Taliban were in government from 1996 until late 2001, when they were toppled in a US-led invasion. They are waging a guerrilla-like insurgency that sees almost daily attacks.

Advertisements

Written by afghandevnews

September 9, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Posted in Security

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: