No word about US aid worker kidnapped in Afghanistan
Sun Feb 3, 11:31 PM ET
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AFP) – Afghan police said they were continuing to search for a US aid worker and her Afghan driver captured by unknown gunmen in southern Afghanistan a week ago, but there was no progress.
Cyd Mizell, 49, and her Afghan driver, Muhammad Hadi, were seized while travelling to work January 26 in the southern city of Kandahar. No group, including the extremist Taliban movement, has claimed to have them.
“We don’t have any progress in the case but we are trying to find them,” Kandahar province police chief Sayed Agha Saqeb told AFP Sunday.
“Kidnapping issues take a long time,” said interior ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashary in Kabul.
The kidnapped pair work for a small Philippines-headquartered community development organisation called the Asian Rural Life Development Foundation.
The ARLDF website (www.arldf.net) says there had been no contact with the two.
“The silence of those responsible has not diminished our hope that Mizell and Hadi will soon be freed,” an item posted on January 30 says.
The Al-Qaeda-linked Taliban militia, in government between 1996 and 2001 and now waging an insurgency, was involved in a series of abductions of foreigners last year. They killed some of their hostages.
Criminal groups have also been behind a rash of kidnappings in recent months and are sometimes believed to pass their hostages onto the Taliban.