Development News from Afghanistan

Just another WordPress.com weblog

Protests over Afghanistan deaths

leave a comment »

BBC News / Monday, 23 June 2008

Officials in eastern Afghanistan say a civilian man and his young son have
been killed in fighting between US-led troops and militants.

Several hundred villagers in Nangarhar Province took to the streets blaming
US-led troops for the deaths.

A local official said it was not clear who killed them. The coalition said it
could not confirm any civilian deaths.

US-led forces say they have killed 55 militants in clashes further south.
There is no independent confirmation.

A statement said 25 other “anti-Afghan forces” had been injured and three
detained after coalition troops were ambushed in Paktika province on Friday.

Meanwhile, Afghan intelligence officials say they have foiled a potential
bombing after recovering a pressure cooker packed with explosives in the
capital, Kabul.

‘Death to America’

Protesters demonstrated in Khogyani district of Nangarhar province on Monday.

A BBC reporter in the nearby city of Jalalabad said 200-300 people took part.

They shouted “death to America” and called for foreigners to leave the area
as well as for compensation to be paid after the deaths of the civilians.

Khogyani district governor Zalmi Khan told the BBC: ”A joint Afghan-American
convoy was ambushed by the Taleban. Security forces returned fire and killed one
Taleban – three others fled.

“The dead body of the Taleban and his weapons are lying there.

“As a result of the firing, one child and father got killed. We don’t know
whose firing killed them.”

The BBC’s Bilal Sarwary in Kabul says Khogyani district is a remote and
mountainous area on the border with Pakistan.

He says there have been demonstrations against foreign forces there in the
past when poppies were eradicated.

Civilian deaths at the hands of foreign forces have prompted a number of
protests in Afghanistan. President Karzai has repeatedly urged international
troops to be more careful.

Last year US forces said they were deeply ashamed” by the killings of 19
Afghan civilians by US Marines in Nangarhar Province.

Correspondents say many more civilians are killed in attacks and suicide
bombings by insurgents opposed to the Western-backed government in Kabul.

Powered by ScribeFire.

Advertisements

Written by afghandevnews

June 24, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: