Air strike kills 7 in west Afghanistan, official says
Fri Sep 5, 5:35 AM ET
HERAT, Afghanistan (Reuters) – Seven people, including two children, were killed in an air strike in western Afghanistan on Friday that was aimed at the house of a Taliban commander, a district official said.
There was no immediate comment from the U.S-led coalition.
More than 500 civilians have been killed during operations by foreign and Afghan forces against the militants so far this year, according to the Afghan government and some aid groups, fuelling public anger and causing a rift with foreign forces.
The latest attack occurred in Farah province, which adjoins Herat where the government says more than 90 civilians were killed in a U.S.-led coalition air strike last month.
The U.S. military disputes the Herat casualty figure.
“Seven people, including two children, have been killed in the air raid,” said the district official, who asked not to be identified. He said it was not clear if adults among the dead were members of the Taliban.
Farah’s deputy governor Mohammad Younus Rasooli confirmed the bombing and said there were casualties, although he did not have a precise figure.
Anger has mounted in Afghanistan since the August 22 raid in Herat’s Shindand district. The Afghan government says most of the 90 dead there were women and children, an allegation supported by the United Nations.
The U.S. military said its probe found that five to seven civilians were killed in addition to 30 to 35 Taliban fighters, which included a local commander.
(Reporting by Sharafuddin Sharafiyaar; Writing by Sanjeev Miglani)